10/03/2013

Something a little different.

Today has been a non-event. I usually like lazy Sundays, but today has been a bit of a dodgy one. Seeing Facebook and Twitter full of people enjoying spending the day with their mums and grandmas made me really want to be at home, and the weather here has been horrible, meaning I couldn't really go out and distract myself. I then came across this and thought I'd give it a go, as I like nothing more than piecing together outfits and wishing I had the money to afford them.

The MoneySupermarket.com Passion for Fashion competition involves putting together 3 outfits based on the themes casual wear, party wear and holiday. The budget for each outfit is £200, which for a student like me is actually quite generous. I thought it would be fun to see what I could come up with, and I quickly discovered that £200 can go quite a way.

Blouse, £19.99 Pull & Bear
Cardigan, £42 Topshop
Loafers, £45 ASOS
Bag £35 ASOS
Jeans, £42 Topshop
Total - £183.99
I decided that a pair of black skinny jeans often work as a good base for an everyday casual look. These Topshop ones have a high wasited fit, which tends to be more flattering, and have slight stretch to them for added comfort. I love this blouse, and I think it makes a casual look that little bit smarter. I think it would look equally us good tucked in, or left to hang loosely. This cardigan just screams cosy, and can just be thrown. Burgundy is a favourite of mine, and I love the knit of this cardigan. These ASOS loafers are such a lovely colour and I do like a good patent finish on a shoe. Finally, this bag is just extremely cute, and big enough to fit in all the essentials.

Top, £22 Topshop
Sunglasses, £16 Urban Outfitters
Shorts, £54 American Apparel
Bag, £6 Monki
Belt, £4.99 New Look
Nail Varnish, £5 Models Own (Hedonist)
Shoes, £25 ASOS
Total - £132.99
My Holiday Wear outfit has quite a beach-y feel to it. However, I think that this could be thrown on on top of a bikini after a hard day's sunbathing to go straight for cocktails. Despite being the palest girl in the world, and only ever going red in the sun, I know that white and sun tans are a great match! This floral crochet vest from Topshop is that bit prettier than your bog standard white vest, and thus is worth its £22 price tag. If there's any time when you can get away with Hawaiian print, it's on holiday. These American Apparel shorts are a way of working this print into an outfit without looking like you've borrowed your dad/uncle's shirt. As with the Topshop jeans, they sit high on the waist. Sunglasses are the essential holiday accessory, and this Urban Outfitters pair took my fancy. Tote bags, like this Monki one are great for just shoving everything in. All of this finished off with tan sandals, a belt and a flash of Models Own Hedonist just screams holiday.

Crop Top, £22 Topshop
Clutch, £15 River Island
Skirt, £48 Sister Jane
Socks, £5 ASOS
Shoes, £69 Dune
Total - £159
Party wear definitely presented me with the most challenges, as I'm a pretty casual kind of girl. I think buying separates is a good way to do party wear, as I often find myself buying a nice dress with a fairly high price tag, and barely ever wearing it. This Sister Jane skirt is quite a statement piece, and I love the colours. I think you could even wear this in the day with a band tee and some flats as well as for a party. I think crop tops are an inexpensive way to transform your look, and the sheer top and sleeves on this give it a little bit more of an edge than the average jersey crop. The on trend striped bag from River Island provides us with a pattern to clash with the skirt, and has a handy chain strap for people like me who get sick of, well, clutching their clutch bag (it's hard to dance with a bag in your hand, ok?). These Dune flatforms are also very dance friendly, and I thought these glittery socks would make us all think about socks and sandals in a new light.

1 comment:

  1. love those looks! those shoes in casual one are just tooo cute!

    ReplyDelete